Thursday 28 April 2011

Country Weekend Socks Review

Book Depository Link Ravelry Link

Impressions: This is a book of fairly heavy weight socks, there are a few in 4ply but most of the patterns are in DK or heavier, these are for heavy-weight use and several would be good stashbusters.  They look pretty slouchy and several of them don't look well-fitting but that could be styling.  I'm not queueing up to buy this though a few of the patterns did attract my attention.  Many of the patterns are knee highs but there's no real suggestions of how to adapt for different sized legs or length of leg.

Types of patterns: Socks

Number of Patterns: 25

Size Range: Adult socks

Colour/Black & White: Colour mostly, colour charts but written lace.

Schematics: no

Target Audience: Some are pretty advanced but most are intermediate to advanced.

How to knit guide: Some basic guides and advice included.

Experimental/Classical/Modern: mostly classical but I have a feeling a lot of it will date.

Comments on patterns: Divided into six chapters, the first is Cables; then Stipes and Multicolour; Gansey Stitch Patterns; Fair Isle and Sanquhar; Argyle and Lace Knitting.  The Content list also has pictures of the patterns numbered which is useful.  The Gansey Stitch with gusset heel; the Traditional shetland pattern socks; the over the knee lacy stockings and the argyle over-the-knee socks caught my eye but really didn't make me want to add them to my queue.  Many of them are knit in the flat.

Buy/Borrow: I'm glad I borrowed it first, this will not be added to my library at this time.

Where found:  Got via Borrowbooks from Longford Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment