Monday 3 May 2010

101 Flowers to Knit & Crochet

100 Flowers to Knit & Crochet Amazon.co.uk LinkBookdepository LinkRavelry Link


Types of patterns: Flowers, vegetables and butterflies

Number of Patterns: 100

Split of patterns: Flowers:71; Leaves: 14; Butterfly: 3; Veg: 4: Nuts/Seeds:2; Fruit: 5; insects: 2
Crochet:60; Knit:40

Size Range: N/A

Colour/Black & White: Colour with black and white crochet charts

Schematics: no illustrations suffice

Target Audience: Pieces divided into beginner, intermediate and advanced under both Crochet and knitting
How to knit guide: The very basics are included and it's really all you need.

Experimental/Classical/Modern: Flowers, veg and butterflies are really universal

Comments: UK terms but it's stated and the differences explained in the how-to section of the book, most of the crochet is charted so if you understand that you can just use that. I've only tried two of the patterns, which were pretty easy to follow after some thinking (and swearing, yes indeed there was some swearing). It's isn't just Flowers. There are leaves, Vegetables and butterflies as well. While the author doesn't state what yarn or needle to use there's plenty of scope for using up leftovers to create a garden of flowers. I'm almost tempted to make acrylic plant markers using these. Yes the total above is 101 but there's rosebuds rolled together with rolled roses, which I counted separately.

Unlike some other books like this that I've read, these are quite familiar flowers for this Irish person, and while, yes, it's not 100 flowers the other filler is quite fun and didn't make me feel cheated. I bought myself a copy and look forward to trying more.

I knit one of the Daffodils this year from this. It was a satisfying make.


Buy/Borrow: I bought a copy, it's available in libraries.

Where found: Dublin City Public Libraries has copies, I'd borrow before buying and try one or two out, I've seen reviews that state that there's some errors but so far I've been lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment