Thursday 25 March 2010

Cancer

For those of you who may wonder why I'm supporting the Irish Cancer Society's Daffodil Day and who don't know me outside this blog, here's a little filler of what my relationship to cancer is.

In 2002 I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma. Hodgkins Lymphoma is a cancer of your lymph nodes, those things that clear the crap out of your bloodstream and ensure that you're not susceptible to illness. I had six months of chemotherapy and have been left with a compromised immune system. I've been off sick this week which has reminded me that Cancer doesn't just annoy it can leave you with some other presents which aren't always welcome. I continue to have checkups and semi-regular scans and my oncologist continues to be happy with my lack of recurrence.

I've also had two aunts have breast cancer (thankfully isn't the right word but it's all I can think of right now, thankfully they're on my father's side) one had hers return and kill her. I've also had one of my grandfathers die of Stomach cancer and my uncle die of Liver Cancer (scarily both geeks in their time, why yes I'm the third generation of geek to get cancer).

All of this makes Cancer personal. The Irish Cancer Society were there when I needed to cry down the phone because work was putting stress on me because of the number of sick days I had, they also had a presence in the background that while I didn't use them often had the potential to be used.

This is why I'm knitting and crocheting Daffodils.

No comments:

Post a Comment